Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Writing Jane Austen

I finished my new book yesterday evening when I got home from work.
I had started it earlier last week, but I was so exhausted when I got home from work every day last week, and had a wedding Saturday evening, so I was only able to get a few chapters into the book until Sunday, when I was able to get some nice reading time in. (I read in the car while Kev & I went to visit his mom and grandma, and then later met my mom, dad, sister, brother in law & one of their friends to watch Iron Man 2.) I was up late Sunday night reading away, but had to put it down since Monday morning's work alarm was quickly approaching.

It was a nice read, fairly quick and easy. It was the first book from Elizabeth Aston (at least that I have read) that was set in modern times.

It is about a young American author, living in London, that has to take a job that her agent gets for her, even though she REALLY doesn't want to take it, because she needs the money to be able to stay in London. She has been hired to finish a book that was supposedly started by Jane Austen and had been lost all this time.

The book could have been longer in my opinion, I wanted to get to know the characters a bit more, however the book only covers a small time-frame, because that is all the young author has to finish this commission, and so we follow along with her as she takes on this challenge she is in denial about.

I don't think I liked it as much as the 6 Darcy books that Aston has written, but it was cute and light and easy. (Which I love...especially after the last one I read, which was quite a different story altogether!) I am (obviously) not one that has any problem with all the Austen spin-offs. In this book the author is doing a ton of research on Austen and meets some of the wide variety of Austen fans along the way. I enjoyed that. Someday I would like to make a trip to England and visit some of the spots that Jane Austen lived and wrote.

1 comment:

Andysbethy said...

sounds like she wrote a book about herself...
Hilarious!