Monday, September 21, 2009

Schloss Nymphenburg












(Our sad attempt at a self portrait in one of the mirrors)








Today we enjoyed a slower pace and didn't go out until well after noon. Deitmar drove us into Munich to check the train schedule so we could get reservations. The only thing available for tomorrow was one that leaves at 9:31AM and doesn't get into Venice until 5:10PM. It is going to be a long day on the railroad, but I am excited to see the beautiful areas that we will pass to get there. Hopefully I will be feeling better by the morning for our trainride because I really don't know if I could handle anything like our plane ride over!!
(Which I just have to mention here that Deitmar, Elisabeth and the kids (Felicitas and Constantine) have been the greatest hosts!! I hope we get to host them sometime when they come to GA so we can try to repay at least some of their generosity! Kevin and I feel so blessed to have such wonderful family!)
After we got our tickets reserved and exchanged some more money we went over to the Nymphenburg Castle for a tour. It is in the outskirts of the city (Munich) and it has some really amazing grounds. We only got to see a small amount of the castle grounds because of the time we had, but it was really neat to see. It was started as a present for the queen (I can't remember which one-it was sometime in the 1660's) when she gave birth to a son, but went through two hundred years of add ons, renovations, and changes until it grew into what it is today. The king who built Neuschwanstein (:udwig II) was actually born in this castle and was named after his grandpa (Ludwig I) who had the same birthday! I love it when you find cool stories about the places you visit!
I am not sure if I will be able to post any while we are in Italy, but I am hoping so. If not than it will be over a week before I am back online because we don't get back to Germany until the 30th...and then we are staying with the different family members in a different city and I don't know if we will have internet access there either.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

WOW! What a bed!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, it let me comment...I'm glad you're getting to see so many great things. You should write Michelle to find out what all they did in Italy... they went to the same places.. I am praying you feel much much better!!love you,mom

Andysbethy said...

I love the history stories. I will have to make sure I read them to the boys when they wake up tomorrow.
Thanks for all the sharing, especially the pictures - they are fabulous!

Kelsey and Travis said...

The pictures are beautiful!!! We are praying for you hard. School got rained out, yes, RAINED out. The parking garages were actually flooded and roads even highways were closed because of flooding. They have gone ahead and canceled classes for tomorrow as well. So it should be a day of extra studying for me. You guys have fun!!!!