Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Austen News

Although my life as been a whirlwind of work, travel, sewing, emotional roller coaster, wedding planning fun, sickness and general busy-ness I have been able to make some time for Austen lately, and have loved it!

If you remember I signed up for two reading challenges for 2011. One of them was all about Sense and Sensibility since it is the 200th anniversary of this book this year. I was able to finish my first book in that challenge last night. I read "Colonel Brandon's Diary" by Amanda Grange.

I really enjoyed it. I have been wanting to read this book for awhile, so when this challenge came up I knew it was the perfect chance to actually get around to reading it! I have Ms. Grange's other "diary" novels still on my to read list and after reading this one I am excited to read the rest! (Edmund Bertram, Mr. Knightley, Captain Wentworth, & Mr. Darcy) I think she did a great job sticking to the original story but seeing it with new eyes from the Colonel's perspective. I loved hearing more about Eliza and was very pleased with how it all turned out. I would recommend this one for sure! It was an easy read since it was written in a journal style, so that I could easily pick it up and put it down as I was able.

In other news, I am hoping to catch "From Prada to Nada" tonight with my sisters! So excited about that. It is also part of my S&S challenge!


Also, keeping with the Austen theme, here is another book I am excited to read. Jane Goes Batty by Michael Thomas Ford.

I read the first one, Jane Bites Back, last year and LOVED it!!! So I will HAVE to get this one soon!

One more Austen note...this one VERY exciting! I won a book!! I had signed up to try to win a copy of The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy by Mary Lydon Simonsen over at Austenesque Reviews and I won!!!

How exciting it is to be a winner! Don't worry Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Borders still get plenty of my hard earned money...but I am trying to get into the idea of using the library again. I need to learn how to budget better...but more on that later!

2 comments:

Laurel Ann (Austenprose) said...

Congrats on the win of A Perfect Bride, Emilee. I think you will enjoy it. Thanks for participating in the S&S challenge and for the shout out to my review of Jane Goes Batty. It was great fun.

Andysbethy said...

I will be waiting for the hand-me-downs. Although I may have to start buying some of these for my Kindle. I have really learned to love reading on there. I just read your "Jane bites back". Hurry up with "Jane goes batty" so I can borrow it too!