Thursday, March 18, 2010

I am so glad....

I gave Joan Aiken another chance.

I was a little weary to try another Joan Aiken book after reading Eliza's Daughter because I was so disappointed in that book. What she did to Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility characters, the new characters in the book, altogether I was just not impressed! However, she had written several continuation stories from Jane Austen's books and I wanted to read them. So, I ordered them in to my library and gave them a shot.

I am so glad I did!!

I thoroughly enjoyed Mansfield Revisited. In fact, I think I would even like to own this one, so I could read it again! There was a lot riding on this continuation story for me. I think this is partially due to the fact that Mansfield Park is, I think, my favorite of Jane Austen's amazing books. Well, now that I have typed that out, I am not sure if I can really say that, choose one that I like more than the others, I love them all so much!! (It's like picking a favorite child, you can't ask a parent to do that. Although you know they have one, they could never admit it to themselves, forget say it out loud!! Before you get all crazy with this last statement, remember I don't actually have children of my own yet, so I can't truly make that statement, but it feels that way to me at this point in my life!)

I really loved what Aiken did with pretty much all the beloved characters from Jane Austen's masterpiece Mansfield Park. I think I like what she did with the characters even more than what I had imagined on my own! It was fairly short and sweet, my kind of book really, and I can not recommend it enough. I actually stayed up until 3:30 this morning finishing it because I couldn't put it down! When hubby's away the wife will play...I stayed up sewing (I finished the baby quilt, now I just need to wash it tonight!) and reading last night! He is in Florida with work, and I am hoping to get even more accomplished tonight since I have a full and busy weekend ahead of me!

I also read Jane Fairfax, another Joan Aiken book, and finished it over the weekend. This one looks at Jane Austen's Emma through Jane Fairfax's eyes. I really enjoyed this one as well! I don't think I loved it as much as I did Mansfield Revisited. But I did enjoy it and I thought she did a good job with Jane Austen's characters. I don't think I really imagined them the same way, but I liked it.

As I was looking online at some images for the books I was writing about, I found these images on this blog post. Apparently they are new covers from Random House publisher. I liked the look! I think the covers look like quilts so it brings together two of my loves: Austen and beautiful fabrics!! Love it!

No comments: